Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Netflix for Dresses

Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent
Ruffle Party Dress
Rent $50/ Retail $275

A graduation, a charity event, a wedding, a birthday, a hot date...there always seems to be a reason for a new dress. I, for one, am usually jumping at the excuse to buy something new, and I'm sure that I am not alone in that matter. Now, I usually try and find something in my closet that would be suitable before I hit the stores, but as I sift through my dresses, remembering when I've worn each one, I often run into this problem:

Problem #1 - I've Worn That Too Many Times
Special occasions and events often mean that there will be photos taken. Since Facebook and picture websites are the common medium for photo albums these days, it feels like our lives are being constantly documented for the world (or at least our friends and family) to see. While the pictures we take might not reach as far as the US Weekly audience, it can be embarrassing to be seen in the same outfit in multiple events. After all, who wants to be the girl who's a one-dress wonder?

So I decide that a new purchase is justifiable, and I begin my journey in search of the perfect dress. However, once I lay eyes on it, and it calls to me, it is then that I often run into this problem:

Problem #2 - I Can't Spend That Much On Something I Might Only Wear Once
Due to the above referenced Problem #1, a special dress may only get one, maybe two, moments to shine before it is outworn or out of style. But it's not always affordable or reasonable to get something new. On the other hand, feeling and looking fabulous for a night can sometimes be priceless...

So what's a girl to do? Here comes RenttheRunway.com to the rescue! Rent The Runway is a website of designer dresses that customers are able to rent and wear for 4-8 days for a fraction of the retail price. You browse through the delightful inventory, make your selection, and the dress will arrive at your door ready for you to wear. Once finished, you simply send it back in the pre-paid envelope and they take care of the cleaning. They'll even send you a second size for free just to make sure it fits.

Alice + Olivia Badgley Mischka
Sequin One Shoulder Dress Organza Origami Dress
Rent $50 / Retail $500 Rent $50/ Retail $530

With rentals starting at $50, this is a great way to go if you are in need of an amazing dress but don't want to spend the dough. There may be a waiting list when you sign up, but I only had to wait two days before my membership was activated, so don't be discouraged.

Go to www.renttherunway.com to get started, and you'll never be caught again without something fantastic to wear.

Dress on!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment