Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow Day!

Growing up in Tucson, AZ and living in L.A., I've never had the opportunity to benefit from school or work being closed due to the snow. This is probably a good thing considering that cold, damp weather deters me from leaving the house unless it is absolutely necessary. However, just because I wouldn't like living in a snowy place doesn't mean that I don't like to visit them... especially if I can bring my snowboard along!

Yesterday I honored myself with a snow day and headed up to Snow Summit at Big Bear Lake. Only a little over two hours away from L.A., this place is perfect for a day trip. While the snow was terrific, I couldn't help but notice some of the outfits that weren't quite up to par. While some may say it is about the sport, us fashion lovers know it is always about the clothes, too.

Note to the guys: one piece purple outfits circa '92 are not acceptable
Note to the girls: if your ski pants give you a visible wedgie when you are simply standing, it's time for new ones.

I did some looking around and found these items that will keep you looking great as you carve up the mountain.

First up are the pants. I'm happy to see that there are finally options for more fitted snowboarding pants, because I'm tired of feeling like a guy in the baggy styles! I love these fun yet practical picks (I'm a sucker for magenta!). All can be found at www.dogfunk.com.

L1TA Heartbreaker Pant, $89.94
Ride Leschi Pant, $179.99
686 Mannual Bliss $130

Next are the jackets. When you're on the mountain, the last thing you want to worry about is staying warm. These babies will keep you comfortable and have plenty of pockets to hold your snacks, iPod, and blackberry (so you're covered in case work tries to catch you ditching).

Burton Commander System Jacket, $240 B by Burton Harlow Bomber, $249
Pair with the L1TA Heartbreaker pants Pair with 686 Mannual Bliss pants
www.burton.com www.burton.com

686 Mannual Lunar Jacket, $160
Pair with any of the above pants
www.dogfunk.com
Holden Nesta Slub Jacket, $190
Pair with Ride or L1TA pants
www.dogfunk.com

Since snowboarding clothes aren't something that you purchase often and they can be quite pricey, I always try and go for pieces and colors that can last me a few seasons without going out of style. However, you do want to have fun with your look, so try to achieve a balance by having one piece that stands out and keeping the rest more subdued. That way, even if you take a spill and face plant right under the chairlift, at least you'll look good doing it!

Dress on!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment